Professor at the Academy of FIne Arts Vienna
Researcher, philosopher, writer, curator
Marina Gržinić & Aina Šmid
Marina Gržinić and Aina Šmid have been working with video since 1982. They participated in more than 40 video art projects, shot a 16mm short film and created numerous video and media installations; they independently directed several video documentaries and television productions.
In 1997, they created an interactive CD-ROM for the ZKM in Karlsruhe. Gržinić and Šmid presented and exhibited their video works and video installations at more than 100 video festivals around the world and received several important awards for their video production.
Marina Gržinić (1958) holds a PhD in philosophy and works as a Principal Research Associate at the Institute of Philosophy of the Scientific Research Center of the Slovenian Academy of Sciences and Arts (ZRC SAZU) in Ljubljana. She also works as a freelance media theorist, art critic and curator. Gržinić is a professor at the Academy of Fine Arts Vienna. She has published hundreds of articles and essays, as well as numerous books.
Aina Šmid (1957) is an art historian. She was editor of a design magazine in Ljubljana and worked as a freelance writer.
From 2010 to 2012 Gržinić and Šmid collaborated with Zvonka Simčič. From 2016 to 2018 Gržinić collaborated with curator and artist Aneta Stojnić. Since 2020, she has been collaborating with Tjaša Kancler and Jovita Pristovšek.
In 2003, a retrospective entitled MARINA GRŽINIĆ / AINA ŠMID (1985–2003) was held at the International Short Film Festival Oberhausen in Germany.
In 2011, a retrospective entitled MARINA GRŽINIĆ / AINA ŠMID, 30 YEARS: 26 WORKS IN 5 PARTS (screening of video works from 1982 to 2011) was held in Belgium at the Galerie D.O.R. in Brussels.
In 2017, a large retrospective exhibition with new works and installations titled Marina Gržinić and Aina Šmid – RADICAL CONTEMPORANEITY: 35 years of work revisited (1982–2017), curated by Aneta Stojnić, took place at Kunstraum Lakeside in Klagenfurt, Austria.
Gržinić and Šmid had several presentations of their video films in 2022 and their work was also presented in two lectures by Marina Gržinić at ERG (Brussels) and ISELP (Brussels). The program was organized by Cinematek Brussels (Christophe Piette, Iris Lafon, Magali Michaux, Velerie Leclercq participated).
In 2022, the Loža Gallery Koper, Slovenia, will host a major retrospective exhibition of works and visual installations, from 1982 to 2022, entitled ODPADNIŠKE ZGODOVINE / STORIE DISSIDENTI / DISSIDENT HISTORIES, curated by Mara Ambrožič Verderber.
Videos, CD-rom & Web Art by GRŽINIĆ and ŠMID
•Ikone glamurja, odmevi smrti (Icons of Glamour, Echoes of Death), video, 1982
•Grožnja prihodnosti (The Threat of the Future), video, 1983
• Cindy Sherman ali histerija produkcija predstavlja rekonstrukcijo fotografij Cindy Sherman (Cindy Sherman or Hysteria Production Presents a Reconstruction of Sherman’s Photographs), video, 1984
• Trenutki odločitve (Moments of Decision), video, 1985
• Doma (At home), 16 mm film, 1986
• Os življenja (Axis of Life), video, 1987
• Gola pomlad (Bare Spring), video, 1987
• Deklica z oranžo (The Girl With Orange), video, 1987
• Žed (Thirst), video, 1989
• Bilokacija (Bilocation), video, 1990
• Moscow Portraits, video and video installation, 1990
• Sejalec (The Sower), video and video installation, 1991
• Tri sestre (Three sisters), video, 1992
• Ženska, ki nenehno govori (The Woman Who Constantly Talks), video, 1993
• Labirint (Labyrinth), video and video performance, 1993
• Transcentrala, video and video installation, 1993
• Rdeči čeveljčki (Red Shoes), video, 1994
• Luna 10, video and video installation (The Butterfly Effect of Geography),1994
• Zgodba o metulju (The Butterfly Story), video and video installation (The Butterfly Effect of Geography), 1995
• A3 – apatija, aids in Antartika (A3 – Apathy, Aids and Antarctica) video and video installation (The Butterfly Effect of Geography), 1995
• Irwin CD-ROM, Model 2000, computer graphic/animation, 1995
• Os življenja (Axis of Life), www site, 1996
• Post-socialism + Retroavant garde + Irwin, video, 1997
• Troubles with Sex, Theory and History, interactive CD-ROM, Artintact 4, ZKM, Karlsruhe, 1997
• Dan D (D Day), video, 1997
• Zvezdogled (Stargazer), video, 1997
• LUNA PARK, interactive video installation, produced by ICC Biennial Tokyo,1997
• O muhah s tržnice (On the Flies of the Market Place), video, 1999
• SILENCE SILENCE SILENCE, video, 2001
• Vzhodna hiša (The Eastern House), video, 2003
• TESTER, video, 2005
• HI-RES, video,2006
• Obsession, video, 2008
• No War but Class War!, video, 2009
• Cista Svoboda (Naked Freedom), video, 2010
• Images of struggle/Decoloniality, video, 2011
• Relations, 25 Years of the Lesbian Group SKUC LL, video, 2012
• Seizure – Rewriting counter-histories, video, 2015
• Into the Now. Performance on theory, politics and history, video, 2017
BOOKS AND DIGITAL PRESENTATIONS:
In 2004, a DVD compilation of their works from the 1990s to 2003 was realized in Vienna as part of the project INDEX. https://www.sixpackfilm.com/en/indexedition/release/5/
The book Moments of Decision: Performative, Political, and Technological was published in Slovenian in 2006 under the editorship of Marina Gržinić and Tanja Velagić (Založniško društvo ZAK, Ljubljana).
In 2009, a book entitled New-Media Technology, Science, and Politics: The Video Art of Marina Gržinić and Aina Šmid (Loecker Verlag, Vienna) was published in English, edited by Marina Gržinić and Tanja Velagić.